A coxswain, or cox, is a vital member of the crew, without whom the outing, race or victory would not be possible.
The role of a coxswain within a crew is to:
- Be in command of the boat and crew
- Keep the boat and rowers safe at all times by properly steering the boat
- Provide motivation and encouragement to the crew
- Coach the crew when a coach is not present
- Provide feedback on the crew performance both in and out the races
- Make any necessary tactical decisions
A cox must be positive, a good motivator and very encouraging – being small is also an advantage!
Stratford-upon-Avon Boat Club is always looking out for new coxes so if you would like to be part of the club’s success please contact us through the membership enquiry form.
No experience is necessary as the club will provide any necessary training.